I am reposting an article under the same name from the English edition of NewsFront. This is probably the best – in its brevity – description of Russia’s role in state-building in the recent history! This is the kind of material that cannot be re-posted or re-told too few times.
In the list the author mentions the Napoleonic time, and in this regard I want to especially draw attention to Holland that exists as a state today solely thanks to the Russian effort in 1813: “Russians Are Coming!”: Restoration of the Dutch Kingdom. Year 1813.
The list also mentions Kazakhstan, and the statement there is best understood in light of purveying of a certain map of the USSR from exactly 100 years ago – from 1922, something that I did a short time ago in A short look at the short history of Kazakhstan through the lens of a 1922 map.
A blogger from the Finnish city of Oulu Veikko Korhonen, as most modern Finns periodically fell under the corrupting influence of pro-Western history textbooks.
Everything related to Russia there was usually poured with total mud, the joint Russian-Finnish history was presented as a nightmare, and the pernicious influence of the present was constantly supported by stories about the aggressiveness and hostility of the nearest neighbour.
Fortunately, Veikko Korhonen had a very wise and well-educated grandmother, and so he knew very well about the true course of our joint history.
And once, tired of constant disputes with anti-Russian compatriots, he wrote a small article on his Facebook page, and whenever he met another Russophobe, just gave him direct link.
Are you asking about the results of Russia’s “aggression”? They are as follows: half of Europe and part of Asia got their statehood from the hands of this particular state.
Let’s remember who:
– Finland in 1802 and 1918. (Until 1802, never had its own state).
– Latvia in 1918 (before 1918 it never had its own state).
– Estonia in 1918 (before 1918 never had its own state).
– Lithuania restored statehood in 1918 also thanks to Russia.
– Poland restored the state with the help of Russia twice, in 1918 and 1944. The division of Poland between the USSR and Germany is only a short period!
– Romania was born as a result of the Russo-Turkish wars, and became sovereign at the behest of Russia in 1877-1878.
– Moldova as a state was born within the USSR.
– Bulgaria was liberated from the oppression of the Ottoman Empire and restored its independence as a result of the victory of Russian arms in the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878, which had its purpose. As a gratitude, the state of Bulgaria participated in two world wars as part of anti-Russian coalitions. Now Bulgaria is a member of NATO, and US bases are present on its territory. After 1945 there was not a single Russian soldier on its territory…
– Serbia as a sovereign state was born as a result of this war.
– Azerbaijan as a state took shape for the first time only in the USSR.
– Armenia was preserved physically and was reborn as a state only in the USSR.
– Georgia survived physically and was reborn as a state thanks to the Russian Empire.
– Turkmenistan never had statehood and formed it only in the USSR.
– Kyrgyzstan never had a statehood and formed it only as a part of the USSR.
– Kazakhstan never had statehood and formed it only in the USSR.
– Mongolia never had statehood and it was formed only with the help of the USSR.
– Belarus and Ukraine also for the first time gained statehood as a consequence of the Great October Revolution in the USSR republics. And only in 1991 (also from Russia) they gained their full independence.
It is also worth considering the role of Russia and the USSR in the birth and establishment of such states as China, Vietnam, the DPRK, India, Greece (repulsed from the Turks by Russia in the distant 1821), Algeria, Cuba, Israel, Angola, Mozambique, etc. .
This strange “aggression” was historically manifested by the Russians!
With the significant contribution of this country, even Switzerland has achieved independence from France. Or rather it was made thanks to Suvorov (217 years ago) and since then Switzerland has never (!) fought;
– Liberation of Austria from the Third Reich in 1945;
– The liberation of Czechoslovakia from the Third Reich in 1945;
– The position of Catherine II in 1780 with the creation of the League of Armed Neutrality and the actual support of the North American United States in the struggle for their independence from Britain.
– Twice for the last 2 centuries Russia granted independence to most European states after the destruction of Hitler and Napoleon;
– Stalin’s position in negotiations with the United States and Britain gave Germany the opportunity to preserve statehood after the defeat in 1945;
– The position of Gorbachev allowed without undue problems in 1990 to re-unite both Germany;
– USSR assistance to Egypt, after which it was able to withstand and consolidate its independence in the war with Israel, Britain and France in 1956-57.
– Intervention of the USSR in 1967 stopped the war between Israel and Egypt (actually saved the Arabs from the defeat in two wars in 1967-74).
– The decisive role of the Union ensured the conquest of Angola of its independence in 1975.
And finally, the main thing. It was the USSR after the victory in the Second World War that played a key role in ensuring that most of the colonies of Western Europe gained their independence in the process of worldwide decolonization launched by the Union.
The whole history of Russia suggests that it was consistent with any power and system in upholding the principles of independence and self-determination of nations and peoples. It is Russia who helped in every possible way to create a multipolar world in any epoch and at all times.
Unfortunately, very often at the same time, it sacrificed own interests, and if the policy of Mother Russia was at least equal to that of the British, now half the world would be part of the Russian Imperial Commonwealth of Nations, and the Russian people would bathe in luxury like sheikhs of Saudi Arabia, at the expense of states, countries and their capitals freed from other colonizers.
That’s why half the world owes Russia to the grave. And that’s why all of you are so guilty before this great country.