ZFS is all the rage now and there are lots of tutorials and how-to’s out there covering most of the topics. There is one issue, for which I could not find any ready solution. When sharing a zfs volume over Samba, Windows would report incorrect total volume size. More precisely, Windows would always show the same size for both total size and free size and both values will be changing as the volume gets used.
This is obviously not what we want. Some digging uncovered that Samba relies internally on the result of the df program, which will report incorrect values for ZFS systems. More digging lead to this page and to the man pages of smb.conf, showing that it is possible to override space usage detection behaviour by creating a custom script and pointing Samba server to it using the following entry in smb.conf:
dfree command = /usr/local/bin/dfree
The following bash script is where the magic lies (tested on FreeBSD):
#!/bin/sh CUR_PATH=`pwd` let USED=`zfs get -o value -Hp used $CUR_PATH` / 1024 > /dev/null let AVAIL=`zfs get -o value -Hp available $CUR_PATH` / 1024 > /dev/null let TOTAL = $USED + $AVAIL > /dev/null echo $TOTAL $AVAIL
And the following is a variation, which works on Linux (courtesy commenter nem):
#!/bin/bash CUR_PATH=`pwd` USED=$((`zfs get -o value -Hp used $CUR_PATH` / 1024)) > /dev/null AVAIL=$((`zfs get -o value -Hp available $CUR_PATH` / 1024)) > /dev/null TOTAL=$(($USED+$AVAIL)) > /dev/null echo $TOTAL $AVAIL
Make sure to check the comments section, as several variations of this script are posted there, for example taking account for both ZFS and non-ZFS shares on the same system!
I can’t use zpool list as it reports the total size for the pool, including parity disks, so the total size might be greater than the real usable total size.
zfs list could have been used if there was a way to display the information in bytes and not in human-readable form of varying granularity.
The solution was to use zfs get and then normalise the values reported to Samba to the 1024 byte blocks. (I tried providing the third, optional, parameter of 1 as mentioned in the man pages, but Samba seemed to have trouble parsing really large byte values, so I ended up doing the normalisation in the script).
Also, I can’t rely on the $1 input parameter to the script, as it turned out to always be equal to ‘.’, which is usable for df, but not for zfs. This ‘.’ lead me to check the working directory of the invocation and, bingo, it turned out to be the root path of the requested volume, so I could simply get the value from pwd and pass it to zfs.